Jetsettin Daisy: Budgets and Packing...

Friday, May 31, 2013

Budgets and Packing...

Good afternoon, more travel musings from me to, well, me...

So today is the last day of my three day weekend. I think I shall spend it lounging on the couch and drinking lemonade... It's about 100 degrees outside.

So I was up last night budgeting my summer and compiling packing lists. I decided, by the end of the summer, I would like to be more efficient with my packing lists and more frugal with my budgeting. I'm pretty good at not splurging unnecessarily right now, but I want to get better at it.

San Diego was one of my first overnight drives and I enjoyed it so much, I want to do trips like that all the time. I'm a meticulous planner and most of my friends are pretty easy going and don't like to plan, so it makes it easier since I love to plan things. San Diego was around $300 total. I had saved up tip money for a few weeks and I always try to use my piggy bank (yes I have one, they really come in handy) for road trip gas money. I've made a habit of putting all my loose coins in it for a few years now and you'd be amazed how much you easy it is to pay for gas after a couple months. San Diego was a little bit splurgey but I'm starting to cut down.

I also packed more than I realistically needed although there were only a few pieces I didn't use. I don't mind overpacking for a road trip since I have a car to cart around my stuff, but for weekend getaways, I'm strictly a carry-on only kind of girl. Even if my bag is heavy or kinda stuffed at the end of the trip, if it's carry-on size, I lug it to the gate. Most of the flights I take are full, so I've never had an issue checking it at the gate for free on the way home (when the bag is the heaviest). I do, however, like to wear something different for each activity (bad habit, I know), especially if it's hot and sticky out. I'm coming up with a new formula for my overnighters, and I'm going to try and stick with it:

  • Outfit for evening (dress or skirt and top or extra top for the shorts)
  • Spare top (which doubles as a pajama top)
  • Outfit for next day activities (extra top or dress)
  • Extra top for hiking/biking/sightseeing
  • Swimsuit
  • Cover-up
  • Extra underwear
  • Sandals
  • Heels
I have a set of travel toiletries that I always keep in a special case so I can throw it into an overnight bag whenever necessary. Hell, sometimes this stuff comes in handy just for an afternoon out. 

Anyhow, enough of that, I'm off to lounge around...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey guys! Welcome to Jetsettin Daisy, a budget friendly travel and lifestyle blog with strong foodie tendencies. Come hang out a while and feel free to leave me some positive vibes if you like anything here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...