Jetsettin Daisy: A Weekend in Austin- What to Do

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

A Weekend in Austin- What to Do


We didn't have a ton of time in Austin but I'm so happy about all the things we got to see. While there are plenty of museums and parks, we really just wanted a relaxing shopping/mural hunting/eating trip and that's exactly what we got!






Murals- There are so many murals in Austin, there almost isn't enough time in a weekend to hunt them all down. We grabbed just about everything in the South Congress area and I don't think we got them all anyway. A Taste of Koko was such a great resource for us in planning which murals to see. It even includes murals we hadn't found on other Pins before!





Consuela- This shop was so colorful and adorable. I didn't have space in my suitcase for a lot of souvenirs (I always pack my little under-seat carry-on for short trips because I vehemently refuse to pay for overhead space) so I didn't get anything but my friend, Michelle, got the cutest banana bag. Everything is designed in Austin as well so it's not mass produced like a regular souvenir shop!




Co Star- What really got me was the array of mannequins with cat heads. So weird! Awesome assortment of fun pieces including a table full of the cutest graphic tees!



Kendra Scott- I frequently drool over the pieces on the Kendra Scott website and seeing them in person was so much better. For a small shop, they have all of the main pieces. 



Maya- There are plenty of shops with cute clothes that are overpriced but Maya's was surprisingly reasonable. The quality was actually better than some of the more expensive places and the service was definitely friendlier. 




Monkey See Monkey Do- I love quirky places like this! All kinds of monkey and geek themed items. I stocked up on zombie finger puppets (I collect them... I know, it's weird). 



Big Top Candy Shoppe- Very cool old fashioned candy shop with the fun assortment of taffy and other candies plus a soda fountain. I got a really nice lemon Italian soda that was both cheap and yummy (like $2). 



Texas State Capitol- We had to get a little history and education in our visit so we stopped at the Capitol building. Security is really nice and while we didn't take the tour, it was a real treat to see. The building is gorgeous and surrounded by a lot of great memorial statues. 




ModCloth- I absolutely HAD to come to the Mod Cloth flagship store. It's got a cool concept- all the clothes are available in every size to try on and if you purchase anything, they ship it to your home for you. Great if you want to do some serious shopping but are low on luggage space! I've been a huge fan of Mod Cloth for a while and my only drawback has ever been the sizing so buying here eliminates that issue. 


Lone Star Riverboats- We had to see the bats. While lining up on Congress Avenue bridge is always a free option, I'm not a huge fan of crowds and the cruises were $10. It's a couple extra dollars if you buy in advance (which you should because the cruises do sell out). For $10, we got a fun, educational tour of the Austin skyline and a prime view of the bats exiting the bridge at sunset. Worth every penny and then some!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey guys! Welcome to Jetsettin Daisy, a budget friendly travel and lifestyle blog with strong foodie tendencies. Come hang out a while and feel free to leave me some positive vibes if you like anything here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...